Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm Finally Back

I took the last few days off to help The Mrs. with her free event for kids in Q-Town. Basically, The GetFit Solution and the US Army teamed up to get kids outside and active. There was an obstacle course, a rock wall, music, whistles and yours truly posing as Q-TV cameraman. All-in-all it was a fun event for the kids and the parents.

The park where the event was taking place also had a skate park. Through all my hustle and bustle, I had a little exchange with one of the BMX bandits, who looked shockingly like "Chunk" from "The Goonies". I found this kid's responses witty, yet disturbing...I think this paints a pretty good picture of today's inactive youth.

"Chunk": Hey, you got any food over there?
Batesy: No, but we have a rock wall.
"Chunk": Yeah, what's up with the Army trying to recruit all the kids?
Batesy: They're not recruiting, they're partnering with my wife's company to promote fitness.
"Chunk": Yeah right, they want to send kids to Iraq. I know what they're up to. I'm not joining no Army.
Batesy: Then why not try the obstacle course, the rock wall and ignore the Army guys?
"Chunk": I don't want to get fit either.
Batesy: Well, we'll be here the next two days from 3 to 5, in case you change your mind.
"Chunk": Just bring some hot dogs and cheeseburgers tomorrow, and maybe I'll think about it.

Now, being ordered to cook for the fam is one thing (there are benefits to that), but when a little smart-alleck porker on his two-wheeled soapbox requests burgers just for being there, I draw the line. Watch this kid grow up to become a Senator or something. Damn kids!

No comments: