Thursday, July 5, 2007

Think Before You Brush!

Massachusetts public-health authorities announced today that they have discovered tubes of toothpaste that may contain a dangerous chemical on store shelves in Boston and 11 other cities and towns.

The discovery comes as federal regulators report that some toothpaste made in China and elsewhere abroad contains diethylene glycol, a substance used in antifreeze. Long-term exposure to the chemical can cause kidney and liver problems.

The state Department of Public Health urged consumers not to use toothpaste falling into these categories:
-- If it is labeled "Made in China." The US Food and Drug Administration has identified a variety of brands made in China, including Cooldent, Dr. Cool, Everfresh Toothpaste, Superdent, and Oral Bright.
-- If is labeled as "Colgate" that is made in South Africa. Colgate officials have said their company does not import toothpaste from South Africa. The warning from health authorities does not apply to Colgate toothpaste made in the United States.
-- If the labeling is not in English.

Well thankfully I read this before I bought a new tube of toothpaste. I'm actually a Crest guy, myself. Even if it didn't have Anti-freeze in it, I still don't think I'd trust a brand named Dr. Cool or Superdent. I also enjoy how Colgate is using the "Deny Everything" tactic. Plus, I don't think I need any help in the old damaging my kidney and/or liver department. After The Mrs. 30th birthday outing yesterday, my waste-processing organs are on sabbatical.

I hope once you read this, that you saunter over to the medicine cabinet to ensure that you aren't slowly killing yourself. If you are using tainted toothpaste, I think it's time to spend that extra dollar for the non-lethal brands - you cheap bastard. Don't let this happen to YOU!
Before:

After:

No comments: