Monday, June 18, 2007

Every Journey Starts With The First Step

At some point in the last 30 years I became an "adult". This actual moment could be debated for the rest of time and I'm sure there are some who would love to take full credit for this miracle. There are some who would even argue that this is a myth...and to be honest, they wouldn't entirely be wrong. I personally like to think that there is a natural evolution that we either accept or reject, once it's staring us in the face.

To clear things up for everyone, my transformation came on May 27th, 2005 at about 11:36 pm. Within that moment evolution was staring right at me and for me there was no other option than embrace this new adventure.

With this new outlook on life and the world around us, I start noticing that my prior prospective was extremely linear. Viewing the world in black and white was like taking life for granted. My eyes were now wide open to the world and myself.

So after spending 28 years thinking I knew everything, I'm now faced with the fact that I knew nothing. So I started working...HARD! I had to figure out how to be the best husband, father and Brian I could be and strive to be better. I had to actually accept failure and learn from those mistakes. I had to mend fences and rebuild trust. Through it all, I tried to appreciate all that has been given to me and realize that every moment is a privilege.

It's now 2007, two years from when I started this journey. I'm still not the "man" I strive to be, but fortunately I don't have to look very far for encouragement. I've found that my life and the world around me is a pretty hilarious and exciting place...even when things get frustrating. As long as I'm working hard and chasing the things that bring me happiness...

then this new Brian Bates will always have something wonderful to hold on to!

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!