Monday, October 19, 2009

What Is Wrong With Some Parents?

I've never claimed to be the perfect parent. Sure, I own and wear a t-shirt that states I'm the World's Best Dad, but that was back in 2006. Being a parent is the hardest, maddening and most rewarding job I've ever held. In 4 1/2 years, I hit the highs and lows when I comes to parenting. I've actually felt like the best dad ever and I've felt like a complete failure. I've openly threatened to ship my kids off to China and there are times when I couldn't be more proud of their accomplishments...no matter how small.

I've learned that there will be no greater teacher in my children's live than The Mrs. and I. That being said, I take it personally when The G, for example, shoves a pencil eraser way up her nose. It's my responsibility to train the kids how not to get themselves killed...seriously! Personally, I can't remember how invincible I probably thought I was at 4, but the fact of the matter is toddler muscle isn't immune to oncoming traffic.

All that said, I feel bad for a lot of children I read about in newspapers and unfortunately sometimes witness first-hand. I used to think to be a good parent, you should allow plenty of space to create individuality. Now, I think the biggest mistake we can make is by ignoring the unknown. First off, kids are sponges and they're sucking it all in. Second, the world is full of creeps. Lastly, shit happens. I'm not saying that I'm going to be up my kid's asses 24/7, but you can be damn sure The Mrs. and I will (to the best of our ability) be lurking, listening, inquiring, assisting and watching the safety and well-being our greatest gifts. We're going to make mistakes, but the point is minimizing the mistakes, learning from them and teaching how not repeat history. The G and Junior are our legacy and I certainly don't want them to someday muff up the same way we did.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents don't get that. Then you get videos like above. Where the hell do kids learn those moves? They were busting out stuff I'd be too scared to suggest to The Mrs. we replicate for there's a good chance I'd get a knuckle sandwich! Do you think ANY of these kids have ANY shot to grow up normally. Instead of worrying so much about swine flu or global warming, why not campaign to teach parents not to be so retarded? Maybe by not teaching our 7 year-olds that smacking that ass in an all out simulated gang-bang, some of our children can go onto discovering cures for cancer or reducing carbon emissions. I don't know...it's easy to watch this and say, "I'm not doing that bad of a job", but I also wonder which one of these delinquents are going to be the one to grow up and hurt one my kids, because they weren't taught right.

End Rant.

No comments: